Friday, March 1, 2019

Prezcon 2019 Day 4

I know some wonderful and thoughtful people at Prezcon.  Yesterday was my birthday and friends bought me cake.  They presented it during one of the games we were playing, sang, and did everything else associated with an impromptu birthday celebration.  Most of the last several years, my birthday has occurred on Prezcon.  Being able to game has been reward enough as a birthday celebration, but this year's heartfelt birthday wishes warmed my heart.  I am truly blessed.

Day 4 of Prezcon involved more games.  As the week has progressed, the crowds in the tournament area and the open gaming room has increased.  The weekend will hold the biggest crowds.  If you have never been to Prezcon, or haven't been in recent years, and are looking to test it out, I recommend attending Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I did that in 2011, arriving late Thursday when I actually managed to learn and play a game (Columbia Games' War of 1812), and then playing games all day Friday and Saturday.  Attending for the long weekend will give you a good feel for what happens at the convention.

Here are the games I played yesterday.

History of the World:  My second game didn't go as well as my first.  I made some decisions that placed my pieces in the way of other advancing armies and that cost me as the game progressed.

After History of the World, I had some time to swim in the hotel pool and take a dip in the hot tub. That is yet another great thing about Prezcon.

San Juan

Wingspan

Puerto Rico:    I really need to play this game more often.  I hadn't played since last Prezcon and it showed.  I wasn't following a good rhythm in the game, and it helped my opponents.  I get another opportunity to play today.

Conquest of Paradise:  This is a well designed, fun 4x game in Polynesia.  I played a close game where all four players scored enough for a possible victory.  I finished third where the points spread was 24, 23.5, 23, and 22.  I played a little bit too conservatively and that kept me from winning.


No comments:

Post a Comment