Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Prezcon 2018: Arriving Earlier than Ever


I'm sitting on a couch next to the pool in the Doubletree Hotel Charlottesville. It is early morning on Day 2 of Prezcon (early morning being just after 8:00). I actually slept in, more or less, not getting out of bed until just after 7:00. That is important to do at my week of Prezcon because I will be playing evening and late night games. 

Last night, in fact, I crashed while playing Power Grid. Power Grid requires some concentration in order to make good decisions. After 10:30, I no longer seemed capable of making such good decisions. Perhaps it was the psychological effect of having heard my phone's bedtime tone sound off at 9:45, but I am pretty sure that having been up since 5:45 AM (my normal wake up time) had just caught up to me. I had fun playing Power Grid, I just need to be more alert throughout the entire game.

Yesterday, I learned how to play The Voyages of Marco Polo. It has a little bit of Lords of Waterdeep and a little bit of Castles of Burgundy to it. It also has the them of travel (it's in the name) so it has a lot of appeal to me. As a member of the Polo merchant network, you have a set of dice that represent the actions you can potentially take. The numbers on your dice determine how powerful an action you can take and, potentially, how expensive that action might be. The board is less dynamic throughout the game than Castles of Burgundy, so developing a solid plan at the beginning can be very helpful (having a plan in Burgundy is good, too, but the changes in the board, require more of a series of tactical decisions). I finished fourth of four on the board, but had a respectable score, and I plan to play again today. It's complexity is on par with another of my favorite games, Lewis & Clark, so it isn't something I can get on the table with family. It is something I could see playing at my company's monthly game day or with board gaming friends.

This is my first year arriving on the Monday of Prezcon. There were more people and more games going on than I had anticipated. My friend Matt is here, and I have already run into several people I know from Prezcon, and even some people from my old Harrisonburg days. When I started coming back to Prezcon several years ago, arriving on Wednesday seemed a bit of a stretch. While I was having fun playing tournament games like History of the World, finding players in the open gaming room was difficult. This year, finding open gaming players was easy. I found a pick up game of Alhambra in 30 seconds, and the Power Grid game Matt and I were starting grew to five players in as many minutes. The open gaming room is definitely growing. The convention is experimenting with an expanded sign up board for open gaming, but I still believe it requires just going up to people looking at games on the shelf and asking if they want to play.

Games on tap for today include Texas Glory, Castles of Burgundy, and The Voyages of Marco Polo. I will see if I am up to a 9:00 PM start for a Power Grid game, or if I opt for pick up games in the open gaming room. There are also some new games some of my friends have including Sagrada and Terraforming Mars that I hope to try this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment