Monday, February 29, 2016

Wrapping Up: Prezcon 2016 Day 6

I am home now writing about the last day of Prezcon.  Prezcon Sundays, for me, are usually short.  I play Settlers of Catan and 7 Wonders, and go home by 12:00 noon.  This year was no different.  I also had a bit of time between games to pack and load my car.

In the six days of Prezcon, I played 26 games (playing 15 unique games).  Those games were a combination of tournament games and new games I learned in open gaming.  Of the tournament games, I won Lewis & Clark and finished 3rd in Liar's Dice.  If I had some shorter games, such as replacing History of the World with two hour games, I could have played even more boardgames. For a $70 flat registration fee, Prezcon provides a lot of opportunity for fun.

I also saw, met, and met again many people.  I would do well to better remember people's names (and not just rely on people's badges), particularly the GMs who put so much time and effort into running the tournaments (Charles, Shane, John, and others), but also other players like Paul, David, and others.

Gameplay Summary
  • 7 Wonders:  I finished third of five in a relatively close game (first, second, and third scored 57, 54, and 53).  I enjoy playing 7 Wonders and need to break out this game with others more often.  Losing this game, however, prevented "schedule congestion" between 7 Wonders semifinals and Catan quarterfinals
  • Setters of Catan:  I lost this quarterfinal game.  I set up in a risky position with no wheat (the board was wheat poor), but was able to establish a strong position with stone, wood, and the wood port.  Late in the game, the other players thought I would be able to win, but another guy had nine points, had two cities and a settlement on a wheat 10 tile, and rolled a ten.  That gave him enough wheat (with other cards in his hand) to upgrade to a city using nothing but win.  That was game

No comments:

Post a Comment